Monday, June 4, 2007

Water Bitches

Disclaimer: Before I even write this blog I want to point out that I am by no means an enviornmentalist. I love the earth and everything, but I am still learning what kind of shit we are doing to it....one day I will be there, I promise Nick! Anyway, so although I try and stay aware, I cannot preach expertise. However, some of the people I care loads about (one lovely chap, in particular) care A LOT about it and nevertheless making me constantly aware of my shortcomings (one of many, people). Now that I have covered my ass...I will proceed with the post.

So apparently I missed another memo, this time about S.B. water cups. Not only is it now, like, trendy to carry Venti ice waters around, people somehow think our water has like special ingredients that will make there lives better. Like drinking specifically a Venti ice water (Grande and Tall's are snuffed at) will reduce wrinkles, drop that ten pounds, and immediately make you feeling a million times better. It's fucking water people. Not a fountain of youth. I just don't get it. Do people really believe that our water is "special" or is it simply the cups?

Regardless, people are so wasteful when it comes to water cups (yes, myself included) that I find myself getting angry at the innocent old lady who is just parched.

Seriously though, there are girls (sorry boys, you are left out of this one) who get Venti ice waters every single day. EVERYDAY!?! Let me explain the frustration...

#1. When the fuck did we become a fucking water factory?

#2. Reuse your goddamn cup if you want one every fucking day. It's doesn't contaminate, like, 24 hours after poured...it's a plastic cup for fucks sake. It can be reused!

#3. Hey. cheap ass. Buy a fucking water bottle. Even I carry my weight watchers 32 ouncer with pride. Perhaps Nalgene's aren't cool anymore, but there has to be something out there you like.

#4. Didn't you get the memo that loving the environment is sooo much trendier than wasting it? Yeah, didn't think so.

And lets just say you just NEED your fucking venti ice water (and try really hard to reuse it) you are NEVER EVER allowed to customize your water. This is important and needs repeating...YOU ARE NEVER ALLOWED TO CUSTOMIZE YOUR WATER. Need I say it again? It's fucking water. Never ask for light ice, no ice, ice to the top, light water, a touch of hot water, a touch of lemonade, water to the green line or anything else along those lines. S.B. might be at fault for this whole phenomenon of customizing your beverages but customizing water is just ridiculous. Never do it.

So I had a real water bitch the other day. We've been encouraging people to have smaller water cups because we were running out of venti ones (karma, bitches) and everyone has been happy to oblige. No fussiness, until this one bitch:

"Can I get a Venti water?"

"Sure, but do you mind it in a grande cup...we are quickly running out of Venti ones and are trying to conserve them."

"Ummm...No. I need a venti one." I look at her with disbelief. "You see, I like drink SOO much coffee that I HAVE to make sure i drink enough water too." You are fucking kidding me. Does the cup have some special tracking device that I missed? Have you not heard of refills?

"Well, you should really invest in a water bottle, they even come with these nifty little lines called measurements." And you can also get out now. Take your 24 oz. water and leave...

In the end, I admit that I am occasionally guilty of being a water bitch (however, if someone asked me to downsize my free water, I wouldn't argue). I know, I know. Hypocrite. But I can't help it! Some of these bitches make me so angry that I just had to write a post.

On that note, S.B. iced cups ARE recyclable...so we can all be less of a water bitch by putting them with the plastics.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww, that's so nice! great post, and people, reuse your goddamn cups or recycle them! Nothing makes me angrier than when someone asks for a venti ice water, then takes one sip of it and throws it away. Let's hang out soon!

kate said...

Now that is taking insane to an entirely new level. I had no idea that Starbucks dispensed holy water.

Anonymous said...

I am so confused. Doesn't SB sell bottled water? What's wrong with that? Is it the fact that you have to pay for the bottled but get the venti in the cup for free?

I think I'm super uncool now for thinking that Venti ice water is lame.

Lyndsey said...

We sell bottled water, but people don't buy it (especially at $1.80ea) they get venti ice waters. Which is TOTALLY fine. The point is that some people come in every single day and get a new water every single day. No thought to wasting our supply, mother earth's supply and just being greedy in general.

The point is that one can buy a water bottle and us behind the counter would be MORE than happy (and probably thank you for having a water bottle) to fill it up for you.

It's the wasteful-ness behind it all and the idea that some of these people seriously think our water is holy water (thank you Kate! I was looking for the right word....)

One is not uncool to order a water, however people who make a habit of it/make you give them one when you already told them you were running out, are uncool.

Ana said...

I love your blog, I even finally bookmarked it, I used to go to Winona's blog and get to yours that way, but your funny grumpiness makes for a good read, and chuckle...

seriously that girl was a water bitch!

Anonymous said...

Lyndsey -
Yes, true the cups are recycleable as are the lids. However, not through curbside Portland recycling. However, if you save them you can take them to Metro Master Recylers once every six or so months. Check out http://www.masterrecycler.org/ for more details.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what was up with all the people I see carrying both a coffee drink and a water from SB's. I guess the water is magical..
Let me assure you that the average person does not recycle the cup, you have no idea how many people I watch after class walk up to the two bins labeled trash and recycling and promptly deposit their recyclables in the trash.
But don't worry I think that it makes me irate enough for all of us.
Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but this is stupid. If you find every bit about star bucks annoying, then why do you work there. I find that very odd...it seems like a waste fo energy to write a blog about the many annoyances of a job...find a different one. Serving water is part of what you do, so fucking just serve it.

Lyndsey said...

I don't have any problem with my job, per say. It's people in general. I haven't complained about the company or my position or the people I work with. I reflect on the everyday people that I encounter behind the counter.

And while you might have some picture perfect job or a job not even worth talking about, mine is full of entertaining occurances. Some irritating and others wonderful.

Regardless, I am just one small barista in a sea of millions...my opinion is lost amoungst those of many. And while it may be stupid and wasteful, I enjoy sharing my thoughts. So if you think it's stupid and annoying, then use all your energy and find another blog to read. One about flowers and rainbows, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]wetter schottland[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]deutsche wetter[b][/url]

Anonymous said...

Hello
Companies House Webcheck
Webcheck Companies House

[url=http://perosnalbinking.v3host.be/companies-house-webcheck.html]company house webcheck[/url]